167 mergesSmaller releases are safer releases
Here’s a thing that happened this week:
- Production incident due to a bug in a release.
- Release was rolled back.
- Can’t reproduce the failure in the test environment.
- Don’t know what caused the bug.
- The release contained 167 individual PR merges.
- Nobody knows which of those 167 PRs broke things.
Smaller releases are safer releases.
While we're here, we might as well...
Unlike in the physical world, few physical constraints prevent us from delivering software in small batches.
Large batches obscure your bottlenecks
Are things moving slowly, but you don't know why? Reduce your batch size.