Is Kubernetes right for your small company?James McShane of SuperOrbital helps unpack the question: Will Kubernetes help solve your small company's problems?
James McShane is the Engineering Director at SuperOrbital and has been working with Kubernetes for about 6 years, in a large number of environments. He joins the show today to help unpack whether Kubernetes is a good choice for your small company.
In this episode:
- What is Kubernetes, and what problems does it solve for you?
- Choosing Kubernetes means choosing a set of problems.
- Which application architectures match well with Kubernetes?
- Which problems Kubernetes doesn’t solve well for you.
- How to handle your application data layer when starting with Kubernetes
- Some of the differences between the big three’s Kubernetes offerings
- Should you hire experienced Kubernetes engineers before adopting Kubernetes?
- Why is Kubernetes controversial, and how can a newcomer cut through the hype?
- Common newbie mistakes
- How does price figure into the decision to choose Kubernetes or not?
- How to learn Kubernetes if your employer isn’t using it
What makes you think your tests are error-free?
Nothing. I don't have any confidence in my ability to write error-free tests.