Should you deploy on Fridays?Dave Mangot explains why you definitely should deploy on Friday. Or Shouldn't. You choose.
Dave Mangot is a speaker, author, teacher, and Silicon Valley veteran. His focus is helping private equity portofolio companies use their technology organization to maximize growth, and he joins me on this episode of The Tiny DevOps Podcast to discuss the contentious topic of Friday deployments and why you definitely should do them and why you definitely should not do them. Confused?
In this episode
- Mores are not moratoriums
- Shaming is inappropriate, on both sides of the issue
- Every outage is unexpected, nobody knows what might go wrong
- Friday deployment should be an informed choice
- Why small batch deployments are important
- Deploying features vs other changes
- You should be able to deploy at any time, but separate that from choosing to deploy at any time
- Why more QA can be worse than less QA
- If deployment hurts, or causes fear, do it more
- Responding to failures when they do occur
- Building an accurate mental model of your system
That won't work here, we're different
What thing would you like to see work for you, but simply won't "because you're different"?
Don't try fix everything at once
Most teams have many problems that could be fixed. But not all should be fixed. At leat not yet.
Get daily content like this in your inbox!
Improve your software delivery
Not sure? Browse the archive