A conversation about trunk-based developmentI talk with Jason Adam about trunk-based development and related topics.
The Tiny DevOps podcast is back!
I’m joined by Jason Adam who is a software developer with a non-traditional background in biology, business development, and data analytics. Now he’s active as a developer, and on the lookout for proven practices he can introduce to his team. On this episode we talk about Trunk-Based Development, and the related topics of continuous integration and deployment, infrastruture as code, and much more.
In this episode
- How Trunk-based development differs from GitFlow and other branching strategies
- Two flavors of trunk-based development
- How Trunk-based development fits into the larger picture of continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Techniques for working in smaller batches
- How test-driven development enhances trunk-based development
- Using feature flags for smaller batches
- How to keep pull requests small
- Cherry-picking small changes out of a larger pull request
- How Infrastructure-as-Code works with CI and CD
That won't work here, we're different
What thing would you like to see work for you, but simply won't "because you're different"?
Don't try fix everything at once
Most teams have many problems that could be fixed. But not all should be fixed. At leat not yet.
Improve your software delivery