Is a fractional CTO right for your company?
April 26, 2022What is a fractional CTO? Why are they growing in popularity? Should you hire one?
Morgan Craft is a New York-based former software engineer and CTO, and currently a founder and Fractional CTO. He joins me to discuss the concept of a fractional CTO, why they’re growing in popularity, and how to decide whether one is right for you.
In this episode
- Why would a company hire a fractional CTO instead of a full-time CTO?
- Why it’s so hard for early-stage startups to hire a full-time CTO
- How soon should a new company hire a fractional CTO?
- What are the risks of continuing without a CTO?
- How “hands-on” is a typical fractional CTO?
- The relationship between the CTO and the product in small companies
- How to choose a fractional CTO
- How do you coach and mentor developers you work with?
- Thoughts on working with off-shore developers?
- Is a fractional CTO as committed as a full-time CTO?
- What does it look like to graduate from a fractional CTO to a full-time CTO?
- What does a fractional CTO cost?
- Do fractional CTOs typically earn equity?
- Using a fractional CTO to hire your first developer
- How to connect with a fractional CTO
What's the ideal ratio of devs to QAs?
Of course, as a consultant, I can confidently tell you: It depends!
Short-term alternatives to code freezes
Use a code freeze as a reminder that there are still quirks to be worked out, and make an effort to work them out.
Adventures in DevOps 114: Progressions Through Programming Languages
What are the types of program languages required in DevOps? What are the pros and cons of each?